Sunday, May 1, 2016

Shared Appetite's Kimchi Ramen Soup

I love me some kimchi but I didn't have an idea what the hell it was eight years ago. When I moved to South Korea to teach English, I kept hearing about kimchi. How did people know about this and I hadn't the foggiest!? I must admit, it took a while for the tangy, fishy (in some cases stronger than others) crunchy veggie to win me over. However, now I love kimchi at least once a week and I can't imagine a life without it now!! Cue ahhhhhhh from the audience!

Ramen was always something quick and easy to eat in my house but in Korea, it is on another level. Every now and then the carby delight is all you want, so to combine it with some dumplings or mandu makes it a triple threat. This recipe for Spicy Korean Kimchi Ramen would use up a glut of kimchi and hit the comfort food spot fo' sure.






Yay or Nay: Yay

The recipe is to make the broth for the soup but we didn't want to eat meat nor did we want to spend hours waiting for the broth to appear! So I substituted the broth for regular chicken stock for the base, although I added a sneaky shake of the spice packet that comes with the ramen. I also added korean red pepper powder as well as a splash of rice vinegar for added oomph. Make sure you wait for the ramen to release its carby goodness to make the soup extra slurpy!


No comments:

Post a Comment