Sunday, October 30, 2016

Budget Bytes' German Potato Salad

I had to go to a training course for work and one of the ice-breaker questions was: what was the weirdest thing we had eaten. I won't divulge mine unless you ever meet me - but one lady said it was Dutch Slaw. Once she described it, it sounded similar to something I had seen a chef make, which was what he called German Potato Salad. 

While thinking of side dishes for the What Katie Ate Next's Ribs, I suggested German Potato Salad and I got a very quick YES! I found a recipe for this on Budget Bytes' website, which I have used before for Dragon Noodles and was a great success, so I'm hoping this will be one too.









Yay or Nay: YAY!

This was delicious! I was dubious about adding the bacon fat to the final salad but I think it made it more bacon-y! I mean who doesn't love bacon?! This was tangy and not too heavy - I did smash the potatoes as I had cut them smaller to speed up cooking so they were a little on the mushy side and harder to cut. I don't think it affects the final taste too much.

I did use balsamic and regular distilled vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar like the recipe asked, but I didn't have any and wasn't about to take a trip to the supermarket to get one thing!  The balsamic did have a stronger taste, but with a sweeter aftertaste. I'll have to try this with the apple cider to see the difference!

 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment