Saturday, July 23, 2016

Food Network's Spicy Mussels with Chorizo and Wine

We're always looking for a new place to eat and somehow I saw an article about a place that sold mussels and frites, a classic Belgian meal and suddenly I was craving mussels. I remember in London there was a restaurant, Belgo, that just sold mussels and frites in different sauces - but the best thing was, whatever time you turned up that's how much your meal was, so if you arrive at 5, then it would be five pounds!! I don't know if they still do this but I loved that place, with it's ahead-of-the-times industrial lighting and dim lights. 

With some research I found Food Network's recipe for Spicy Mussels with Chorizo and Wine. I was looking for something that I could eat without the lashings of butter or cream. I figured with this recipe I could make a couple of changes quite easily; swap butter for olive oil and cream for cashew cream and it would still be tasty.






Yay or Nay: Yay

I don't know why I hadn't made this sooner, I mean it was so easy to make - a doddle! Super quick to prep and cook, I had to break cooking into two parts as I had to work late and figured the mussels would taste better freshly cooked instead of steamed and then reheated later. So I made the sauce and then once we were ready to eat, heated up the sauce, put the mussels in and added the cream. 

TIP: I would up the harissa and red pepper flakes for a but more heat but this was delicious to mop up with some crusty bread! 


No comments:

Post a Comment